Thursday, August 23, 2012

Support for my Hypothesis from autosomal DNA match

The Tenmile Country and Its Pioneer Families: A Genealogical History 

I had hypothesized that my ancestor James D. Owens was related to the other Owens families living in the area. The Owens families of Bracken County, Kentucky were from Pennsylvania. The above image is from the book "The Tenmile Country and Its Pioneer Families: A Genealogical History". Sebastian Shroffe would have been the brother-in-law of my ancestor John Owens married to Susannah. He was married to John's sister Agnes Owens. I matched with a 6.4cM block with a descendant of Agnes Owens. Gedmatch gave me an estimate of 7.2 generations between my match and our common ancestor, which would be about right. So one of the goals I posted when I started this blog has been met. I have strengthened my case that my James was the one named in John Owen's will.
I need to try to unearth something more about these women now in order to possibly solve these brickwalls with the autosomal DNA. Have not been able to find the parents or maiden names in two cases of these women:
  • Sarah Campbell born 1812 in possibly Tennessee or North Carolina married Anderson Wray 15 Nov 1832 in Jackson County, Indiana 
  • Eve Urma born about 1800 in Virginia or Pennsylvania married Jesse Callahan 5 Oct 1814 in Washington County, IN. She may be related to the Urmey family in the same area?
  • Francis Unknown born abt. 1785 PA married  James D. Owens of Bracken County, Kentucky don't know where or when they marriage took place? Some names which appeared with her in her husbands probate were Aquilla Houke, William Orr, John McMillen, Benjamin Laughlin ( I may have a Houke match?).
  • Rachel Unknown b. unknown married to Roger Browning b. 6 Dec 1751 of Greene County, Tennessee
I shared a 25.5 cM block with a Williamson family who lived in Franklin County, Indiana. I am wondering if this match relates to one of these brickwalls? I wonder if several of my matches at FT DNA relate to one of these lines? 
Here is my transcription of tax lists for Bracken County, KY. George Owens also named in John Owens will appears with James.



1797 Taxlist for Bracken County, Kentucky
---------------------------------------------------------------------
David Owens (Indian Killer?)

1799 Taxlist
---------------------------------------------------------------------
George Owens
James Owens

1802 Taxlist
---------------------------------------------------------------------
James Owens
George Owens
Thomas Owens

1803 Taxlist
--------------------------------------------------------------------
George Owens
Thomas Owens
James Owens

1804 Taxlist
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Two James Owens now appear one described as Senior the other Junior
George Owens
Thomas Owens

1810 Taxlist
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Ancestor is first recorded as James D. Owens paid tax on
July 31 along with George and Thomas Owens
The other James Owens paid on another day

No comments: