Saturday, May 21, 2011

Forgey, Forgy, & Forgie etc.


I've been researching the name Forgey and all of it's variations at Genealogy Bank's newspaper collection, and at the Library of Congress's Chronicling America website. I wasn't able to find out exactly which time periods were included in the Genealogy Bank's local newspapers database? A general time period is given for an entire state but not for each local paper. I found a very interesting and helpful entry at the Chronicling America website. Sadly nothing new found at Genealogy Bank. I guess Ancestry.com abandoning it's effort to archive the world's newspapers. Newspapers are a great source I think that is a mistake.
I've also been looking at US Censuses for Virginia and Tennessee again. I have had a great success record when it comes to finding ancestors in the US Census. Finding collateral lines in the south is much more difficult. It could be due to the isolated locations of their homes, and the dislocation due to the Civil War. Also after the Civil War some Confederates may have been unwilling to provide their family info to the US government? 

No comments: