Wednesday, April 13, 2011

BYUtv - The Generations Project: Emily

BYUtv - The Generations Project: Emily

I really enjoyed this Generations Project episode! Emily brought up some questions that never occurred to me :D. It isn't everyday that someone shows up to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City asking how their ancestor smelled. Researchers were able to come up with a reasonably good answer for her. They drew a conclusion about what he likely smelled like from the occupation listed on the Census for him. They even found a description of the odors associated with his occupation (which was teamster).
I have not put much thought into the self-esteem level of my ancestors either. I have noticed that some were more successful than others. I've also noticed that some siblings have been more successful than other. In the case of  my Forgey family I have noted that James Forgey seemed to be financially better off than his brother my ancestor Hugh. His father Andrew seemed to favor James more than Hugh also. I don't know whether it affected his self-esteemed or not?
Still working on organizing my genealogy.
The Second Life meeting yesterday was done in voice chat. It was very interesting regarding government land records. I found out that cash purchase entries rarely contain anything other than the patent and receipt. My ancestors only purchased land this way, they did not homestead.

No comments: