Friday, April 15, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History- Sports


In the late 1970's and early 1980's some of my best days were spent with by father at Dodgers' baseball games. That was a classic era in Dodger baseball.  In Fielder's Steve Garvey, Ron Cey, Davy Lopes, and Steve Yeager behind the plate. I also remember Fernando mania. Whenever he pitched in his early career the stadium would be packed.  
We would always sit in the left field section so I could watch my favorite player Bill Buckner.
Family nights and celebrity nights were some of my favorite. I remember getting Tony Danza's autograph at a celebrity night. I remember that he was one of the nicest celebrities I have ever met. I dropped my pen into the Dodger dugout and he retrieved it for me. 
We always ate a couple Dodger of dogs every game. There is nothing better than a tasty Dodger dog on a beautiful day at the stadium!
Dodger Stadium has always been located in a bad section of Los Angeles, a gang ridden area. The recent beating of a fan really saddened me, but was not completely a surprise given the fact that gang members live in the area and attend games. Hopefully increased security will prevent this from happening again.

2 comments:

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

Thank you for participating in this week's topic of the 52-week series. I have the same types of memories from the same era, except we went to Anaheim stadium. I remember all those Dodger players, though, because our neighbors were Dodger fans.

Annette said...

Thank very much Amy for the great topics! That was a classic era in Dodger baseball. I did attend a few Angels games too but don't remember the players as well.